Thursday, January 26, 2012

Portrait: Dasein (1)

Dasein has very expressive ears. 

This is continuation from yesterday.

So let me write about Dasein. I met her first at a pet shop in Brooklyn. Actually, I was interested in black pugs, and the search online told me that there was one available at a pet shop in Bayridge. I had no intention of buying a puppy, but it was raining that day, and I felt restless, so I made the trip to a part of Brooklyn that I've never been to before to see the puppy. No harm in seeing.... so I thought... hahaha.

Of course I should have known better. Back then I only had a vague knowledge of puppy mills, and their evil, and all the dirty secrets about the pet trade, but that is no excuse since I think of myself as a researcher, and I normally would have done much more research before I would make an important decision like bringing a new puppy into my life.

Well long story short -- Dasein was an impulse buy. I went to the store just to look at a black pug boy, but ended up with a boston terrier -- a breed that until that day, I've never even heard of.

A picture of Dasein couple of days after she first came home.
Dasein was already about 4 month old when I first met her. Usually pet store puppies get separated from their mothers as early as 8 weeks old, so now I surmise that she was either at the store or somewhere along the pet trade pipeline for couple of months. And now I also know that that's not a very good place for a puppy to be for so long. I will never know to what extent her birth circumstance and early life experiences have negatively impacted her development, but I am sure that it must have had a profound impact.

To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment